Adult WEEK-LONG Camp Overview
ADULT & YOUNG ADULT SUMMER CAMPS
in Pennsylvania & New Jersey, USA (various locations)Upcoming Camp Dates, Fees & Registration »
Learn to build your diabetes, fitness and training base.
Push yourself and have a blast at camp!
Whether you want to learn a fitness program, tweak your exercise regime and diabetes management or take your triathlon and marathon training to a higher level, this camp has been designed with those goals in mind. Simply come ready to learn more, explore your potential and have a great time.
This camp brings all necessary team members to one location to assist you with your strategic plan for living well and competing well with diabetes. The traditional twenty- to thirty-minute encounter a few times per year is inadequate to meet your needs. You will benefit from the analysis and insight of elite coaches who thrive on working with all abilities. We will work with you to enhance your diabetes management skills, fitness and training regimens – all while having a great time, laughing a lot and building camaraderie to last a lifetime. Importantly, you are the captain of this team that includes phenomenal coaches, experienced medical and exercise personnel, a registered dietitian and a mental skills coach.
Matthew Corcoran M.D., CDE, and exercise specialist with the American College of Sports Medicine, has designed this program specifically for you. With a wealth of experience in Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes and exercise/sports management, Corcoran brings a unique perspective to the medical management of diabetes and exercise. This camp fills a void, creating a clinical resource devoted to diabetes and exercise.
We pride ourselves on putting theory into practice, and building an individualized diabetes management plan for you, as well as an individualized training plan to take you to another level. We achieve this through lectures, workshops, training sessions and one-on-one counseling sessions with medical and coaching specialists. You will immediately put what you learn into practice. You will see a difference in your control and your performance. And, most importantly, you will develop bonds and friendships with others who are pushing themselves and taking control. Get Ready for a wide variety of training and fitness options to meet YOUR NEEDS.
Diabetes Training Camp has truly become a unique medium in which to deliver health care education and counseling. At Diabetes Training Camp you will be surrounded by a phenomenal team of people that GET IT and aspire to help you achieve your fitness goals and athletic dreams.
Our ADULT Diabetes Training Camp is a weeklong camp devoted to multi-sport training and general fitness. It is uniquely designed for all ages, all levels, all-comers. We will meet you where you are and help you get where you want to go. Whether you want to start a general fitness program, run a marathon, finish a triathlon or anything in between. We are very fortunate to have the best of the best in coaching and education- they are eager to meet you and work with you no matter what your goals is.
Here is what you should expect:
Professional technique coaching for all levels:
- Improved Swimming Techniques
- Cycle coaching and drills to make the beginner feel very comfortable on a bike and to challenge the advanced cyclist to master new bike handling skills.
- Run coaching and drills.
- Triathlon specialists and transition coaching/tips: Our staff triathlon specialists can help you build the skills needed for a smooth race, from technique to transition to blood sugar management. They are available to answer questions and provide tips based on years of coaching and participating in triathlons.
Workshops and seminars featuring:
- Diabetes management strategies for exercise and sports, including insulin dosing and nutrition
- Mental skills coaching regarding the psychology of sport and exercise for those with diabetes
- Base training techniques
- Small group sessions
Fitness assessment and coaching:
- Individualized programs for participants who want to focus on diabetes and fitness.
- Fitness sessions complement other training sessions throughout the day.
- Individual Fitness: We offer individual Maximal Exercise Testing (VO2 Max) to help you understand your own physiology better. This individual fitness testing is not available at all camps. If you are interested, please ask us if it will be offered at your camp.
- Establish your fitness level.
- Determine your training zones.
- Identify your carbohydrate and fat utilization in different zones.
- Monitor your training’s effectiveness.
Tremendous friendships and bonding with others like you!
- You will be surrounded by other incredible people, like yourself, taking on the challenge of living healthfully with diabetes.
- You will find that many other campers have similar challenges, experiences and goals. It’s a great opportunity to share, connect, bond and grow!
- You will meet friends that will last a lifetime.
Mental Skills Program with CARRIE CHEADLE
Diabetes Training camp will not only give you the tools you need to live successfully with diabetes, but the tools you need to live OPTIMALLY with diabetes! In order to live optimally with diabetes, not only do you need to address your physical needs, but your emotional, social, and psychological needs as well. Here are some of the workshops you will have the opportunity to attend at camp that address the impact of stress and introduce coping skills necessary for living optimally with diabetes:
Dealing with Stress: The Mind
There is no life without stress; it is part of the human condition. In this workshop you will explore how stress can impact your blood sugar and your diabetes management. You are what you think! Here we focus on cognitive coping skills for managing stress and becoming aware of the thoughts you feed yourself and how they can hold you back from reaching your potential.
Dealing with Stress: The Body
First take a big, deep breath… and then exhale and read the next sentence: In this workshop you will learn relaxation techniques to help manage the physiological symptoms of stress and anxiety. You can’t perform optimally if you are tense! Here you will learn how to relax your body as well as relax your expectations of maintaining “perfect” control of your diabetes.
Building a Team: Your Support System
Let’s go Defense!! Part of performing to your potential is having a good support system in place. In this workshop you will take steps toward building up your “home team”. Building this team also includes learning how to communicate with the key players on your team, including med staff, family, and friends.
Going Home: The Diabetes Rollercoaster
If we could only put camp in a bottle and send it home with you… Now is the time to reflect on what you’ve learned and get prepared for putting it into action when you return home. You will also explore how to define success as well as how to prepare for and deal with setbacks you will face along the road to living optimally with diabetes.
Individual Goal Setting Plans
In addition to the educational workshops on the psychological aspects of diabetes and fitness, you will also have the opportunity to meet with Carrie one-on-one to create your own individualized goal setting plan tailored to your specific diabetes and fitness goals. You will learn effective strategies for setting and accomplishing goals and walk away from camp with a 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, and 1 year plan for achieving your goals.
General Fitness Training
Living with diabetes is all about balance. Balancing blood glucose levels, maintaining a balanced diet, balancing your non-diabetes life with your diabetes-life, and creating a well balanced fitness routine. At DTC we are committed to helping you determine your fitness strengths and weaknesses, and providing you with the tools to develop and build upon the limitations and optimize your strengths. Whether you are starting an exercise program for the first time, or are a seasoned athlete looking to tweak your performance, we will help you determine the best program to achieve your personal best.
Our team of fitness professionals range from exercise physiologists and certified personal trainers, to yoga and group exercise instructors. Our focus is introducing you to the core elements of fitness (strength, endurance, balance, and flexibility) and tweaking your current exercise regimen to meet your personal goals.
Your camp experience is about you. Therefore, you will be given the opportunity to try a variety of fitness classes such as yoga, strength training, aquatic exercise, and pilates. And in order to present you with the tools needed to achieve a well-rounded approach when you return home, our experts offer one on one consultations to create a customized program for you.
We also believe that education is empowerment when it comes to managing your diabetes fitness program. During your time at camp, you will learn about the many benefits of exercise, and will put them in to practical application, such as:
Benefits of Fitness:
- Increased Strength
- Bone Density Improvements
- Reduced Overall Weight
- Balanced Body Composition
- Reduced Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, and Overall Cardiovascular Disease Risk
- Improved Balance and Stability
- Increased Flexibility
- Heightened Metabolism
- Controlled Symptoms of Stress, Anxiety and Depression
Diabetes & Fitness Benefits:
- Reduced A1C
- Blood Glucose Management
- Decreased amount of diabetes medications
- Improved Cardiovascular profile
- Decreased Insulin Resistance
- Increased Insulin Sensitivity
- Improved Circulation
Discover and learn strategies to develop the following:
- Strength: utilize free weights, resistance bands, body weight exercises, and physioballs while gaining knowledge on proper form and workout structure. A variety of strength training strategies will be incorporated.
- Balance: create stronger joint stability and enhance the neuromuscular system with the use of physioballs, yoga, and pilates classes.
- Flexibility: reduce your risk for injury and improve you athletic performance while learning stretches for major muscle groups, and those specific to your particular sport.
- Core: build upon your foundation and support your entire musculoskeletal system with a strong and defined core. Classes such as “ab blast” and “pilates core” will challenge your core muscles in new ways.
- Fat Burning: learn how to utilize cardiovascular exercise and cross training to your fat-burning and metabolic advantage. Various cardio machines and outdoor exercises will be utilized in circuit and interval style workouts.